Public Service Post: Glögg Recipe
Nilsson’s äkta glögg, så fint som snus.
Every winter I get lots of requests for the infamous Nilsson family glögg recipe. Here it is for your drinking pleasure. Note – I recommend wearing wear flame retardant clothing while cooking.
Almonds, blanched and halved – 12
Raisins – 340g (3/4 lb)
Prunes – 340g (3/4 lb)
Orange, quartered – 1
Cloves, whole – 15
Cinnamon sticks – 2
Ginger root – 1 small piece
Cardamon pods – 12
Water – 1L (1 qt)
Port Wine – 4L
Brandy – 750ml
Grain or Vodka (Aquavit is another option but I prefer vodka) – 750ml
Sugar – 150g (3/4 c)
- Wrap almonds, raisins, prunes, orange, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon in a cheesecloth. Place in covered pot with water and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Pour into a large kettle. Add port. Cover and heat to just before boiling point. Turn off heat.
- Add brandy and vodka/grain/aquavit. Heat to just before boiling point. Turn off heat and let cool.
- Light match and carefully hold over mixture.
- Burn eyebrows.
- Cover pot. Extinguish all kitchen fires and check if your hair is still burning.
- Add sugar.
- Serve warm with a few raisins & almonds in each glass.